Anyone who uses the open-source world-famous media player, Kodi, should now be running the latest version of Kodi.
By doing so, it does not merely, just fix any bugs and offer a new look. A lot of the Kodi add-ons and Kodi builds won’t work with Kodi if it isn’t a newer release version.
Instead of users looking to install Kodi anew, it is much easier to go through updating Kodi, so you don’t lose anything.
Our guide shows you step-by-step instructions to update Kodi on the most popular devices.
As always, we will also show you how to keep yourself safe when streaming with third-party Kodi add-ons.
Steps to update Kodi on Windows
The latest stable version Kodi 18.6 Leia. The steps here show how to update Kodi on Windows.
- Close Kodi
- Navigate in a browser to https://kodi.tv/download. You can see the operating systems at the bottom of your screen. The following operating systems are available:
- Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi, and others.
- Select the Windows icon. You can install it directly or update it from the Windows store.
- Click either on the installation program (64 bit) or on Windows store (Windows store is automatic)
- Double-click the installer in your download folder (for manual download)
- Go through each Kodi installation screen. The installation wizard displays warnings about overwriting files. Select YES or OK to continue.
- Once the Kodi update process is complete, run Kodi and verify that all your add-ons, skins, and settings are working.
Updating Kodi on FireStick / FireTV
These detailed steps show you how to update Kodi on FireStick. The great thing with these steps is you can use the same process on Amazon Fire TV Stick and other Fire devices.
- Go to your device home screen
- Hover over the ‘Settings’ menu item
- Select ‘Applications’ icon
- Click ‘Manage Installed Applications’ text
- Hover pointer on Kodi. (You will see the current version on the right)
- Navigate to your device home screen
- Hover Over ‘Settings’
- Select ‘My Fire TV’
- Select ‘Developer options’
- Select ‘Apps from Unknown Sources’ to enable it.
- Return to device home screen. Hover on the search icon on the top-left side of the screen.
- Type’ Downloader’ and select it from the list underneath
- Click the orange Downloader icon
- Click OK on your remote to start the download and install process
- Click Open and launch the Downloader app
- Select Allow
- Click OK on the welcome screen
- Click the OK button on your remote. Once the keyboard opens, type this URL exactly troypoint.com/kodistable (always the latest stable version)
- Select the Go button to start the download process
- Click ‘Install’ when prompted to update Kodi
- Kodi updates, so click done once complete.
- You can ‘Click Delete,’ and you can save space on your Fire TV stick device
- Select Delete again for confirmation
- Navigate to the Amazon Fire device home screen
- Start Kodi. (You may need to look in “Your Apps & Channels” and click “See All” if you don’t see the icon on the main screen)
- Select and Kodi starts loading the Home Screen
Install on other Devices
Aside from your update for Kodi on FireStick and Windows, it is as easy to Update Kodi on Android and iOS. You can find the app directly in the Google Play Store or the Apple Store.
You can also head to the link as in the Windows update for Kodi instructions https://kodi.tv/download and click the relevant icon for your OS. It redirects you to the right app store for your OS and device.
Using VPN’s with Latest Kodi Update
Any user who hasn’t yet started to use a VPN when they use any Kodi add-on, they ought to seriously consider it now.
However, we again fall back to the same conundrum for VPN’s for use in Australia, and use on a Fire Stick device and with Kodi.
Not every VPN is suitable to cover all options, yet here are the best two you can find to cover all options.
ExpressVPN is the top streaming VPN comprising 3,000+ servers across 94 countries. It bypasses geo-restrictions for any blocked add-ons or streaming platforms worldwide. Every stream with Kodi will be buffer-free.
ExpressVPN offers the best online security. Comprising robust DNS and WebRTC leak protection, strict zero log policy, military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, zero-knowledge DNS, and a kill switch.
They are in the British Virgin Islands, which sit outside any 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance. With unlimited bandwidth, server switching to both country and city level. Customer support is 24/7 with live chat in case of issues.
You can use five simultaneous connections on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and many other devices, so you can use Kodi while and other devices at the same time.
IPVanish is located in the United States but has a good zero log policy so that user data is safe from 5, 9, or 14 eyes.
Customer service is at the highest level but only offers a 7-day money-back guarantee.
The download speeds of this VPN are good enough for all Kodi streams, and it easily bypasses most streaming restrictions.
The VPN is popular for its speed and ease of use, and currently has 1,300 servers in 75 countries.
Users have ten simultaneous connections on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. All have security features such as a kill switch, IP address switching, and server obfuscation to enhance online security and privacy.
Both these VPN’s deliver the best solution for Kodi, yet the one that stands out is ExpressVPN. It provides much more in the way of catering for remote regions; along with the ease, it bypasses any restrictions.
It is simple to use so any user can sign up and start to hide from their ISP and copyright trolls who search for Kodi users.
With an industry leading 30-day money-back guarantee, users have long enough to test all the features and find out; they are using the best VPN for Kodi, without spending anything.