For many, ExpressVPN is considered the top VPN service provider in the world, but things change rapidly in a market which is somewhat overcrowded.
Does this VPN do enough to retain the top spot, or are others closing ground and making it difficult?
Many ExpressVPN reviews are also checking if this is still the case because with companies getting wise to VPN’s, there could be changes in how they perform.
By the end we will see if this world-class VPN still deserves the top spot, and what they have changed to help do this.
Express VPN Review
- The number of servers doubled to over 2000
- Locations increased to 148 cities in 94 countries
- Now features HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome Extension
- No quibble 30-day refund
- Very high speeds
- 24/7 live chat
- Still, only 3 devices can be connected
- Still expensive (check pricing section)
- No free trial (with the money back guarantee, you can use for a month)
It is well known that ExpressVPN is a premium service and the ExpressVPN price makes them a little more expensive than some of their rivals.
However, you get what you pay for holds true, but now this top rated VPN provider does now offer a deal which is very tempting as you can see below.
|1 Month||$12.95 per month||Billed Monthly|
|6 Months||$9.99 per month||Billed $59.95 every 6 months|
|12 Months||$6.67 per month||Billed $99.95 for the first 15 months (3-months free) SAVE 49%|
With the 3 months free, this makes them a very tempting choice to make when you look at what you receive from all of their services.
The ExpressVPN sign-up procedure is done on one page where you choose your plan, and then all they ask is your email address.
With plenty of payment options available you can easily pay without passing over your name for security.
After sign-up, a random password is generated, but you do have the opportunity to change this later after you make your first ExpressVPN login.
Features and Benefits
ExpressVPN hasn’t rested in the times between reviews, and they know their competitors will be looking to take the top spot. They now include more features and have improved areas where they were not so strong.
Split tunneling has now been introduced where you can choose which programs access the internet by your VPN connection and which ones connect via the usual route through your ISP.
New browser extensions are added which support Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, and with the Chrome extension HTTPS Everywhere is now included.
Support has also been beefed up for both the Amazon Fire TV and Android TV which takes their device support way beyond what other VPN services cater for.
Other clients supported as a reminder is Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Routers, and Linux plus all the media boxes you can consider.
Privacy is still as clear-cut as it was and they again state they don’t hold any logs apart from the very minimal connection dates, the server used and data transferred, so nothing can be connected back to a user.
The clients can be installed on as many devices as you like, although only 3 are allowed to connect. For homes, there is still the router installation, or you can purchase a router which is pre-configured. Ram usage is also low compared to others at around 40MB used where some others use up to 200MB.
Encryption is as strong as ever, and ExpressVPN still provides the best DNS leak protection (free) and security using the OpenVPN, IPSec, PPTP & L2TP protocols.
Being based in the British Virgin Islands, they are well outside of any 5-eyes jurisdiction, so this is another reason why privacy for users is at the top of the tree. This was highlighted when a server belonging to ExpressVPN was seized in Turkey, and they were unable to retrieve any user data.
The kill switch ExpressVPN uses they call the Network Lock, and this blocks all traffic should your VPN connection drop, this is another way to maintain user’s privacy. This feature is included with the following clients: Routers, Linux, Windows and the Mac OS.
Customer support is still the best in the industry which is accessed via their website, and during testing, it took less than a minute to be connected to a real person.
Ease of use on all apps is still as effortless as it was, and there are not many reasons why users need to delve into the settings to change anything. Once you download ExpressVPN, you can be up running and protected in less than 5 minutes.
For users who wish to push their security and privacy to the utmost level ExpressVPN supports the TOR network, and with this, your traffic is encrypted using multiple servers, and all of your data becomes relayed which makes it almost impossible to track your actual location.
ExpressVPN will allow you to combine this TOR network on top of their VPN connection to give you almost impenetrable security for your connection. It can also help to bypass censorship laws in individual countries.
Although this sounds complicated, all it takes is the use of the official TOR browser and start your connection with the following address: address: http://expressobutiolem.onion
Two of the main areas users look toward VPN’s are unblocking geo-locked content and for torrents. Here we take a look at both separately.
Torrenting with ExpressVPN
There are four areas which make ExpressVPN ideal for torrenting these are:
- Very high-performance server network with fast speeds and robust reliability from any country.
- The overseas jurisdiction which isn’t subject to any DMCA requests or where any copyright violation demands can be made.
- All the ExpressVPN apps keep your data and anonymity very secure while at the same time making sure you’re protected against leaks and (WebRTC).vulnerabilities.
- No set bandwidth limitations or traffic throttling restrictions whatsoever.
Netflix and Media Streaming
If you want to pick out a VPN’s one strong point, not including speed, Netflix is the ideal candidate because of so many VPN’s works and then don’t work, or they give up and focus on another area.
ExpressVPN has never had a problem of not working with Netflix-streaming however you connect regardless of where you are in the world.
If by any chance you are using ExpressVPN, and you can’t connect to US Netflix, all you need to do is contact their customer support, and they will quickly tell you which server to connect to.
It doesn’t matter what media player or home theatre app you use, or if you’re streaming directly from the website. All connections are error-free, and the picture quality is excellent.
Kodi makes full use of the ExpressVPN app for connections due to the nature of the third party add-ons. It might be they are geo-locked (such as the BBC iPlayer), or they offer content which infringes on copyright.
You can watch in peace knowing you are hidden from view so even your Australian ISP won’t know what you’re connecting to.
To sum up the ExpressVPN review Australia users might be interested in, here are the main findings of the new review based on the current status of ExpressVPN.
- The best superior performance which comes with excellent speeds and reliability and robustness throughout the VPN server network from any location. An idea of how good they are is to compare reviews of NordVPN vs.
- ExpressVPN for speeds.
- All apps are high-security applications, and all provide maximum encryption. Everyone tested passed all privacy and security tests, so is ExpressVPN safe, yes, it’s as reliable as ever, if not more so.
- The best of class offshore jurisdiction and company privacy policies protect the customer data and user privacy as was shown and verified with the server seizure which took place in Turkey
- ExpressVPN still works with Netflix and all the other streaming services around the globe
- ExpressVPN provides a vast selection of apps which are well-designed and very user-friendly
- Industry best customer service with 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back guarantee to cancel ExpressVPN if you are one of the rare ones who find the service isn’t for you.
After all this time ExpressVPN still remains the top choice for privacy, torrents and Netflix connections.
With the inclusion of their other features and browser extensions and device support, it is hard to find an area where the company lacks or falls down the field.
Admittedly they are still slightly more expensive compared to others, but when you know you do get the best security and privacy as well as robust services, then the extra couple of dollars per month is highly justifiable for any Australian user or household.
It’s a fact, the number one VPN just got better.